With school out, teens increase time on the road. It’s no surprise that teen driving auto accidents peak in the summer months. Teens who are injured in auto accidents often suffer very serious injuries. Brain and head injuries are very common.
Parental guidance is key to preventing teen auto accidents. Parents should be setting good examples, i.e., refrain from texting or emailing when driving. In addition, parents should be sure to open the lines of communication about expected behavior from their teen drivers.
Below is a simple checklist you can print out and go over with your teen driver. Print a PDF version of the teen driving safety checklist. Also, please share with your friends and family members. Together, we can prevent teen driving accidents.
Teen Driving Safety Checklist – Be Safe on Delaware Roads
I promise to obey all the rules of the road and…
- always wear a seat belt and also make all passengers buckle up
- obey all traffic lights, stop signs, and road markings
- stay within the speed limit and drive safely
- never give rides to hitchhikers
I promise to stay focused on driving and…
- never use my cell phone to text or email
- never talk on the cell phone (even with a hands-free device)
- never eat or drink while driving
- never use headphones or earbuds to listen to music while I drive
I promise to respect laws about drugs and alcohol and…
- drive only when I am alcohol and drug free
- never allow any alcohol or illegal drugs in the car
- be a passenger only with drivers who are alcohol and drug free
- call my parents for a ride if I am impaired
I promise to be a responsible driver and…
- drive only when I have permission to use the car
- never let others drive the car without permission
- never drive someone else’s car unless I have permission
- pay for all traffic citations or parking tickets
Consequences of Causing an Auto Accident in Delaware
Criminal Arrest and Prosecution – You may be arrested and charged with a crime. If someone is seriously injured, you may face jail or prison time.
Civil Lawsuit – You may be sued and court-ordered to pay a financial judgement.
About Knepper & Stratton – Auto Injury Law Firm
Firm partner Martin Knepper has been handling auto accident and injury cases for over 30 years. With offices in Wilmington, Newark and Dover, our firm is uniquely positioned to handle cases throughout Delaware. (302) 658-1717
*Disclaimer: This website page does not provide any legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship. Every case is unique and you should not take any action or make decisions in your case without speaking to a qualified car and truck accident lawyer in Delaware. Any discussion of results is no guarantee of the same or similar results in current or future cases.
*Use of the contact form on this website or emailing one of our lawyers does not create any attorney-client relationship. In addition, confidential information should not be sent through the contact form.